Macmahon’s Environmental Policy is to minimise the adverse impact on the environment as a result of our business activities.
The Group recognises the importance of integrating environmental management into how we do business. Macmahon’s ISO AS/NZS 14001 certified Environmental Management System provides the framework to enhance the Group’s environmental performance.
Increasing our market share in rehabilitation work is a key part of our business strategy. This work typically includes completing earthworks and revegetation on land disturbed by mining activities to ensure it is stable, safe and suitable for post-closure use. During 2020, we rehabilitated a total of 107 hectares for our clients.
Climate Change Position Statement
- climate change is real and poses a threat to our environment;
- while the use of coal for energy production releases greenhouse gases that impact on the rate of climate change, the world’s energy needs mean that coal will continue to play a role for many decades to come, even as renewables grow in importance; and
- we have a responsibility to mine commodities for our clients as efficiently as possible, complying with all regulatory requirements, to reduce the environmental impact of this activity.
- seek continual improvements in energy efficiency across our business to reduce the carbon intensity of our operations and minimise the impact on the environment; and
- in line with coal’s ongoing role in the world’s energy mix and our objective of having a diversified business, seek to work across a range of commodities that are important for both traditional and renewable energy production.
Waste and recycling
Macmahon remains committed to ensuring that all waste materials are disposed of in an approved and environmentally responsible manner. This includes materials such as tyres, oils and lubricants and office waste. We often repair tyres to extend life but once they have reached a worn out state, they are disposed through Environmental Protection Authority approved channels and the use of certified waste disposal companies.
Case study: Environmental sampling
Macmahon is committed to reducing the impacts on water quality associated with its mining operations. Regular sampling and reporting takes place at the Sejorong River in Sumbawa, near Batu Hijau’s copper-gold mine in Indonesia.