1963 Macmahon is established
Macmahon Construction was established on August 5, 1963, while Macmahon Holdings Limited was formed as the parent company. The Company's first annual report was issued in 1964, reporting revenue of $1 million and a profit of more than $38,500.
1967 First mining contract secured
Macmahon won its first mining contract for excavation works at Nobles Nob Gold Mines at Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory.
1970 Darwin River Dam
Construction commenced in 1970, with the earth and rockfill dam supplying water from 1972.
1978 Railways and highways
Macmahon began construction of the Tarcoola to Alice Springs Railway, as well as a section of the Great Northern Highway near Broome, WA.
1983 Macmahon is listed on the ASX
With more than 1000 employees and $77 million in revenue, Macmahon was formally listed on the Australian Stock Exchange. The Company also commenced civil works for the 1500km Dampier to Perth natural gas pipeline in 1983.
1987 Mining expansion
Macmahon acquired FK Kanny & Sons, an open cut mining contractor based in Western Australia. The acquisition enabled Macmahon to further expand its operations in the mining sector.
1992 Working with Hamersley Iron
Macmahon secured the contract for bulk handling of iron ore in Dampier for Hamersley Iron Pty Ltd.
1994 Overseas expansion
Macmahon established its international operations with ventures in Chile and Malaysia. Heads of Agreement were signed with Heng Huat Quarries for quarry development in Malaysia.
1995 Underground expansion
Kalgoorlie based underground mining and consultancy services group National Mine Management Pty Ltd was acquired. A Macmahon office was also established in Indonesia to explore business opportunities in the region.
1997 Fully accredited
Macmahon became the first Australian contracting company to have its entire operations accredited to international Environmental and Quality Assurance standards.
1998 National growth in the civil sector
Macmahon's civil contracts were extensive during 1998, including the Adelaide-Crafters Highway and a tunnel project in South Australia, the upgrade of the Royal Australian Air Force based at Learmonth (as part of a joint venture) and the construction of a 87km rail formation for Hamersley Iron in Western Australia.
2001 Coal and construction wins
Macmahon's growth in the coal sector was confirmed with new contracts at Blackwater, Queensland and Muswellbrook, New South Wales. The construction of the Alice Springs to Darwin Railway began and the Company also secured a 10 year road maintenance contract in Western Australia.
2006 Business growth
Macmahon acquired ARD and CRE in 2006 to further expand its underground mining service offering. The Company also acquired 60 per cent of MVM Rail, with the remaining 40 per cent owned by Spanish company COMSA EMTE.
2006 Indigenous employment and training
Macmahon established the Indigenous Mine Skills Program to provide pre-employment training for Indigenous people seeking a career in the resources sector.
2010 Mining contract in Africa
Macmahon commences its first African mining contract in Nigeria in February 2010.
2011 Mongolia bound
Macmahon secured its first contract in Mongolia, for coal mining operations at the Tavan Tolgoi project.
2013 Mining future confirmed
Macmahon finalises sale of Construction business and confirms future focus on mining.
2014 Tropicana project demonstrates value of alliance contract model
Macmahon’s continues to build a strong relationship with Anglo Gold Ashanti and Independence Group at Tropicana. Tropicana becomes Macmahon’s most significant contract.
2015 Macmahon secures major mining contracts in Australia and Indonesia
Macmahon awarded mining services contracts at Telfer in WA, St Ives in WA and Martabe in Indonesia (in joint venture with a local partner).
2017 Macmahon awarded largest ever mining contract
Macmahon awarded a US$2.8 billion mining services contract at Batu Hijau for PT AMNT. In the process, AMNT becomes Macmahon’s largest shareholder with a 44.3% holding in Macmahon shares.
2017 Macmahon re-establishes presence on the east coast of Australia
Macmahon selected by Byerwen Coal, a subsidiary of QCoal, as the exclusive partner to provide contract mining services at the Byerwen Coal Mine in the Queensland Bowen Basin.
2018 Macmahon adds civil capability
Macmahon signed an agreement to purchase TMM Group, a civil construction and maintenance services company based in Brisbane.
2019 Macmahon increases underground capability
Macmahon acquired Western Australian based, specialist underground contractor GBF Underground Mining Group (GBF).
2020 Macmahon awarded $700M contract extension at Byerwen
Secured expansion and extension of existing coking coal contract in the Bowen Basin to November 2023, plus 2 year option.